Thursday, December 27, 2012

Sweet To Me





You have no idea what this picture means to me and/or what it means to finally be able to post it here for someone to actually see!  It goes without saying that these are baby gowns from another era.  I've been collecting these little beauties, by faith, for the past five years.  Many  a "questioning eyebrow" hath been raised in regards to my costly (time, money, logic) pursuit of this investment.  Oh yes, quite an ingathering, lading my house with ... !   What be the meaning of all this?  Ahhh...  But, then, in a most enlightening, unfolding  fashion, last summer it all came together.  (This is exactly how the Lord works with me.  Whew!  [If the people wondering, only knew how much the more I was wondering about myself.)  Suddenly, in the hottest part, of one of the hottest days of summer (whew, again), my husband and I found ourselves "bolted" headlong into a project  we'd  had no preconceived idea of diving into that day (a pool, maybe, instead).  We spent an entire day, and on into a late night, taking what resulted in pictures (another draping in the house) for my recently written book:  "Manifesto-Before the Cock Crows".  This scene (above) reaches in and literally grabs my heart, as well as my attention, and then asks of me, "What are you going to do about it?"   As does every other image that we managed to capture that day (every one by the way, using pieces from those "quirky collections" springing from those endless rendezvous of mine, with "fancy").  "What are you going to do about what?," you might ask.  What am I going to do about the generations who seem to have turned their eyes far, far away from the people who once wore these very precious, pristine wraps; choosing in an alarming manner (to us watching - still attached by choice to their honorable, yes, and understood by us to be necessary legacy) to "sever" themselves from what they represent.  "Let bygones be bygones - this is the "new world," I guess they would protest!  But my heart is flailing within me,  as I'm envisioning a "kind" (generation) beginning to ever so stealthily, fade away before my eyes.  Extinction?  Genocide?  Oh, Dear God, I pray not!  But...  Do you see what I see?  Do you hear what I hear?  Do you know what I know?  Are you asking yourself the same questions that I can't stop asking myself?  Where are we going?  What are we doing?  Where will it all end?  Stay tuned ... won't you ... for the conclusion ... of ...

No comments: